Gold Nugget Pleco (Baryancistrus xanthellus)
From The Aquarium Wiki
114 Litres (30 US G.)
17.8-20.3cm (7-8 ")
6.5 - 7.2
24 -29 °C (75.2-84.2°F)
- Gold Nugget Pleco, Golden Nugget Pleco, L018, L85, L085, L177
Additional scientific names
- Baryancistrus sp "L018"
Origin[edit | edit source]
- These exquisite fish come from Brazil. They live in the Rio Xingu and Amazon River basins.
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Odontodal growth on pectoral and cheeks is greater on males than females.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- Do not keep this Pleco with others of it's own kind or indeed any other Pleco as it will be territorial towards these and even other bottom dwellers, should only be attempted in a larger tank. Will be peaceful towards mid or top-dwelling fish.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Not a great algae eater, prefers a meaty diet with blanched vegetable supplements. If using floating pellets this fish will find them when they attach to the glass of the aquarium because of water tension and snack on them. However because it is not designed to do this it ends up looking rather clumsy and often will drop the pellet or miss it completely. This activity however was only observed after the fish was very well established in the tank and it would not do this before as it is very shy until it gets use to the surroundings.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Prefers a spacious and well filtered tank with plenty of caves and other hiding places in bogwood and rounded river stones.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- A generally nocturnal Pleco that will be territorial towards other bottom dwellers.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- An attractive Pleco with a dark red-brown base colour on the body with medium-sized round yellow spots covering the body and fins. The dorsal and caudal fins are edged in a thick band of yellow.
Species Note[edit | edit source]
- This Baryancistrus was given it's proper described name, Baryancistrus xanthellus, in 2011
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )