Yellowtail Surgeonfish (Prionurus punctatus)
From The Aquarium Wiki
681 Litres (180 US G.)
53.3-58.4cm (21-23 ")
8.1 - 8.4
18.3-25.6°C (65 -78 °F)
- Yellowtail Surgeon
Origin[edit | edit source]
- From the Gulf Of California to El Salvador
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- No sexual dimorphism; inspect the underside
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- Peaceful, but will be aggressive to similar species if space is limited. A specimen that feels threatened may attack your hand with the "saw" on their tail, so make sure not to spook them.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- herbivorous, eats various macroalgae and microalgae, but may also be supplemented with meaty foods.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Daily, at least 2 times.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- A grazer that may enjoy slightly cooler waters, as well as a large amount of rock for grazing.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- Peaceful, and can be kept in groups housed in a suitably sized system. Can be observed "slapping" other fish with their peduncle spine to resolve territorial issues.