Silver Pacu (Piaractus brachypomus)
From The Aquarium Wiki
1325 Litres (350 US G.)
80-88 cm (31.5-34.6")
4.8 - 6.8
23 -28 °C (73.4-82.4°F)
- Silver Pacu, Pirapitinga, Red Pacu, Red-bellied Pacu, Red Belly Pacu
Additional scientific names
- Colossoma brachypomum, Piaractus brachypomum
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- The dorsal fin on the male is more pointed than the female and the anal fin on the male has a toothed edge.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- An exceptionally large fish, will co-exist with other peaceful tank busters and large peaceful fish such as Silver Dollars. Do not keep with small fish.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Omnivorous, feed a primarily vegetarian diet with foods such as vegetarian pellets and blanched vegetables.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Needs a very large tank as this fish is classed as a "tank buster". Open swimming space and excellent filtration is a must.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- Peaceful fish which will generally not bother other tank mates.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- Very large and rounded fish, eyes and mouth appearing small for the rest of the body once mature. Has some visible teeth despite its vegetarian diet. The color is grey in base color with a red belly, giving it its common names. The pectoral, anal and pelvic fins also have red coloration. It has a very small adipose fin and the body may have irregular dark grey-black spots.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )