Silver Barbel Catfish (Pareutropius longifilis)
From The Aquarium Wiki
Silver Barbel Catfish
95 Litres (25 US G.)
7.6-9.1cm (3-3.6 ")
6.4 - 7.4
23 -26 °C (73.4-78.8°F)
- Silver Barbel Catfish
Additional scientific names
- Pareutropius micristius, Eutropius longifilis, Eutropiellus longifilis
- Africa: eastward flowing rivers north of the Ruvuma, Lake Chiuta, Ruvuma system, Lake Chilwa.
- Mature females will have thicker bodies than males, is not easy to spot however unless they are in a group together for comparison.
- A shy peaceful catfish that should be kept in shoals of at least 5-6 individuals. Will do well with other peaceful active fish including Loaches and African Tetras.
- Should not be a fussy eater accepting most catfish pellets and flake as well as live/frozen foods such as bloodworm and brine shrimp.
- Feed once or twice a day.
- Provide this fish with a spacious tank with dense planting and hiding places in bogwood and rock around the edges with some open swimming space towards the centre of the tank. A long tank is best for this fish and they do not appreciate very bright lighting so floating plants are desirable.
- An active little fish that can be quite shy, it finds confidence when in groups of its own kind.
- A long and slender fish with a dark lateral line and with a forked caudal fin which can be mistaken for Pareutropius buffei.
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )