Giant Gourami (Osphronemus goramy)
1325 Litres (350 US G.)
60-70 cm (23.6-27.6")
6.5 - 8.0
20 -30 °C (68-86°F)
This animal is available captive bred
- Giant Gourami, Common Gourami, True Giant Gourami
Additional scientific names
- Osphronemus gourami, Osphronemus olfax, Osphronemus notatus
Origin[edit | edit source]
- Asia: probably limited to Sumatra, Borneo, Java, the Malay Peninsula, Thailand and Indochina (Mekong basin).
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- The dorsal and anal fins of the male are pointed, they are shorter and rounded on females.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- A large generally peaceful fish that should be kept in a very large spacious tank with similar sized fish such as Silver Dollars. Smaller fish may be preyed upon.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Will accept most foods including pellet and flake, blanched vegetables and live/frozen food such as earthworms, bloodworm, shrimp, and insects. Prefers a high amount of vegetable matter
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- This fish is a known "tankbuster" and should not be taken on unless an exceptionally large home can be provided for it. It needs excellent filtration, and hiding places provided with planting and bogwood.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- A generally peaceful large fish.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- The largest of the Gouramis, the Giant Gourami is oval-shaped and laterally compressed. They have long ventral "feelers". Young fish have a pointed head, while older individuals have a small, blunt head with a pronounced lower jaw, giving them a large "chin". Young fish are reddish brown to dull orange with a number of brown, transverse bands. The fins are orange. As the fish gets older, it becomes less attractive and loses its handsome stripes. Adults have a dark brown back and brown flanks covered with iridescent silver scales. The fins are also brown. Albino and other colour variations are common.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )