Celebes Medaka (Oryzias celebensis)
From The Aquarium Wiki
57 Litres (15 US G.)
4-5 cm (1.6-2")
8.0 - 9.0
22 -30 °C (71.6-86°F)
- Celebes Medaka
Additional scientific names
- Haplochilus celebensis, Aplocheilus celebensis
- Asia: Indonesia (Celebes).
- Males are smaller than females with pointed dorsal and anal fins.
- A peaceful active little fish that does well kept in groups in a community set ups with similar sized peaceful fish that don't mind the same kind of alkaline water chemistry.
- Should accept most foods including pellet and flake, also live/frozen food like daphnia and brine shrimp.
- Feed once or twice a day.
- Does best in a heavily planted set up with dark substrate and places to hide, they do not appreciate bright lighting so will be appreciative of floating plants. They do require alkaline conditions, up to a pH of 9!
- An active peaceful fish.
- A small slender fish with it's dorsal fin set far back along the spine by the caudal fin. The body is cream-silver with iridescence, the caudal fin has some red-orange edging, this will be more vibrant in males.
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )