Red Breast Acara (Laetacara dorsigera)
From The Aquarium Wiki
Red Breast Acara
95 Litres (25 US G.)
5.1-6.1cm (2-2.4 ")
6.0 - 7.5
20 -25 °C (68-77°F)
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
- Red Breast Acara, Redbreast Acara
Additional scientific names
- Acara dorsiger, Aequidens dorsiger, Aequidens dorsigera, Astronotus dorsigera, Parvacara dorsigera
- Anal and dorsal fins will be pointed in males and rounded in females. Females will have a dark patch with white flecks at the central base of their dorsal fin while males will not.
- These fish will spend the majority of their time patrolling the lower areas of the tank, swimming around plants, rocks, and wood. While they will swim to the surface to feed voraciously, they will also compete with bottom feeders for sinking foods. Avoid overly docile tank mates (discus, Corydoras, smaller bottom feeders), as they will have to put up with constant belligerence.
- Omnivore but emphasis on meaty foods: serve bloodworms, brine shrimp, and other meaty foods in addition to flakes/pellets.
- Feed small amounts frequently (multiple times daily) or larger amounts daily. The former option is best when other fish do not have to compete aggressively with Laetacara dorsigera for food.
- Most difficult to distinguish from Laetacara curviceps especially when young - even retail shops get confused.
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )