Honduran Red Point (Archocentrus sp. "Honduran Red Point")
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Honduran Red Point)
Archocentrus sp. "Honduran Red Point"
76 Litres (20 US G.)
7.6-10.2cm (3-4 ")
7.0 - 8.0
22 -32 °C (71.6-89.6°F)
This animal is available captive bred
Additional scientific names
- Cryptoheros sp. "Honduran Red Point", Archocentrus sp. "HRP", Archocentrus sp. "Honduran Blue"
- Found in streams of Honduras.
- Male has dorsal and anal fin extensions. In many cases, the female will develop orange-red markings on underside and dorsal fin when ready to mate. Another observation is that the dorsal fins of the female will develop a bluish hue.
- More difficult to breed than the more common "Convict Cichlid". This species will have smaller spawns, however is also very aggressive during spawning.
- Not a community fish. Stock only with large fish which can hold their own in a fight, the Honduran Red point is similar to the Convict Cichlid in choosing a tank partner. It should not be kept with other Archocentrus species to avoid hybridisation. When choosing tank mates choose fish that will hold up to this fish's aggression, such as larger Oscars. If there are other fish to be considered as tank mates a bigger tank is required.
- Honduran Red Points are not picky eaters, in fact they can be very greedy. Although they will do well on flakes and Cichlid pellets, they will do even better with the addition of frozen/live food like bloodworms and brine shrimp as well as vegetables like chopped spinach and cucumber. This fish may prefer algae more than its sister, the Convict Cichlid.
- Feed once or twice a day.
- Provide with hiding places/caves. Can and will dig and uproot fake/live plants.
- Convicts mainly stay within their territory, where they do not tolerate other fish. Convicts can be very aggressive and are best suited to an aquarium designed for single species accommodations.
- This fish was at first classified as colour morph of the Convict Cichlid, however it now thought to be a different species. Adults will have a blueish metallic shine. Care should be selected to choose fish that have not been hybridized with Convict Cichlids.