Orange Rock Hunter (Harpagochromis sp.)
From The Aquarium Wiki
114 Litres (30 US G.)
25.4-30.5cm (10-12 ")
10 - 30
21.1-26.7°C (70 -80 °F)
This animal is available captive bred
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
Additional scientific names
- Haplochromis sp.
- Endemic to Lake Victoria.
- Males have more vibrant colouration and have buccal cavities to mouthbrood the eggs.
- Can be bullied by smaller (but more robust) Mbuna (from Lake Malawi) and Mbipi (also from Lake Victoria)
- Piscivorous to fish like Pseudotropheus demasoni.
- Feed once or twice a day.
- Typical Mbuna tank.
- Aggresively piscivorous to small fishes; keep with larger fish.
- Is grey, with the males turning orange in mating season
- Extinct in the wild, rare in captivity, even rarely offered in the US.