Jae Barb (Barbus jae)
From The Aquarium Wiki
38 Litres (10 US G.)
3-4 cm (1.2-1.6")
5.5 - 6.2
21 -25 °C (69.8-77°F)
Origin[edit | edit source]
- Found in the Congo River system, rivers of Southern Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea and Gabon.
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Males have brighter colouration than females.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- This fish does well in a group of it's own kind, keep in a group of 5 or more. Due to it's size and rarity it does better in a species tank.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Will accept most foods, preferring live/frozen such as daphnia and brine shrimp, may also learn to accept small flake and pellet foods.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Provide this fish with a well-matured tank at least 6 months old. It must have soft acidic water in order to thrive. They do well in densely planted tanks which are on the cooler side temperature wise.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- An active shoaling fish.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- An attractive fish who's true colours only show in the right conditions. It is small and slender with a red-orange body, broken with several vertical black bars down the flanks. The fins are translucent with hints of red.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )