Chanchito (Australoheros facetus)
From The Aquarium Wiki
170 Litres (45 US G.)
15.2-17.8cm (6-7 ")
6.5 - 7.2
23.9-26.7°C (75 -80 °F)
- Chanchito, Chameleon Cichlid
Additional scientific names
- Chromis facetus, Chromys oblonga, Cichlasoma facetum, Herichthys facetum, Heros autochthon, Heros jenynsii
- A South American fish found in the coastal drainages of Uruguay and Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil; Paraná River basin, lower part of Paraná River in Argentina.
- Sexing this fish is difficult, males are usually a little larger with slightly more elaborate finnage.
- These fish are best kept in pairs and can be aggressive when spawning. Keep with tough and fast inhabitants, but this fish will attempt to eat fish small enough to fit in it's mouth. Best kept really in a species tank.
- Omnivorous, will eat most aquarium foods, live foods and snails.
- Feed once or twice a day.
- A spacious tank with swimming space and some dense planting. A hardy fish which will tolerate a wide range of temperatures as long as they do not fluctuate too much.
- Can be aggressive during spawning.
- A colourful oval-shaped Cichlid with blue hues in the fins, yellow base colour on the body and several vertical dark blue/brown/black bars running down the body and into the dorsal fin.
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )