What are Aerimonas?
Aeromonas (Aeromonas hydrophila and Aeromonas sobriais) are a gram-negative bacteria which causes death in tropical fish and amphibians. This bacteria, like many others is usually present in small quantities in the tank but regular water changes and feeding good quality food to your animals will usually keep these bacteria under control.
One by one your fish starts sulking in a corner of the tank and becomes listless. Death occurs rapidly and within a day or two. Unless treated quickly you may lose several.
Any gram-negative anti-bacteria treatment will get rid of it.
- Perform a 50% water change asap.
- A treatment of potassium permanganate will reduce the level of organic material suspended in the water and will therefore help to reduce levels of this bacteria.
- Erythromycin (Neomycin)
- Interpet No9 - Anti-internal bacteria
- Waterlife - Myxazin - broad spectrum bactericide
- Nifurpirinol - JBL Furanol
- Oxolinic acid
- Do not over feed your animals. The bacteria eats uneaten food and the animal digests this.
- Regular water changes.
- Feed a range of good quality food so your animal has a healthy immune system to fight off infection.