API pH test kits
The API pH test kit and High Range pH test kit are two test kits produced by API Fishcare, a subsidiary of Mars, Inc. They are used to test the pH of water, particularly fill water and aquarium water. The standard test kit is used for testing in the range of 6.0 to 7.6, the High Range pH test kit is used to test water in the range of 7.4 to 8.8. The test kits contents are also available in the API Fresh Water Master Test Kit.
Each kit comes with a 5 ml test tube, a bottle of test solution, a color comparison chart, and instructions for the user.
- Rinse the test tube a couple of times in the water to be tested to clear out any impurities and old water.
- Fill the tube up to the mark (5 ml) with sample water.
- Holding the pH test solution container upside down, drip 5 drops into the tube, one drop at a time.
- Place the cap on the tube and shake it several times. I shake for 30 seconds or so by turning the tube over and over.
- Let the tube stand for 5 minutes to allow thorough chemical reaction to take place.
- Hold the tube next to the color chart so white area of the chart is behind the tube and it is adjacent to the colors on the chart.
- The color closest to the tested water indicates the pH of the sample.
- When the test is complete, discard the sample water and rinse the tube several times. I usually keep about 5 ml fresh water in it with the cap on during storage do prevent mineral buildup on the inside of the tube).