API Nitrite Test Kit
The API Nitrite Test Kit tests a water sample for the amount of nitrites in a sample of fill water or water from your aquarium. A drop test such as the API test is considered more accurate than test strips.
The API Nitrite Test Kit is a test kit manufactured by API Fishcare, a subsidiary of Mars, Inc. It is used to test the level of nitrites (NO2-) in your water in the range of 0 to 5 ppm. The kit contents are also available in the API Freshwater Master Test Kit.
The API Nitrite Test Kit comes with a 5 ml test tube, a bottle of test solution, a color comparison chart, and instructions for the user.
- Rinse the test tube a couple of times in the water to be tested to clear out any impurities and old water.
- Fill the tube to the white line (5 ml) with sample water.
- Holding the Nitrite test solution bottle upside down, add 5 drops of test solution, one drop at a time, into the sample water.
- Place the cap on the tube and shake it several times. I shake for 30 seconds or so by turning the tube over and over.
- Let the sample stand for 5 minutes to allow thorough chemical reaction to take place.
- Hold the tube next to the color chart so the white area of the chart is behind the tube and it is adjacent to the colors on the chart.
- The color closest to the test water indicates the level of nitrites in the water. Acceptable level is at or near zero. See the article about Nitrite.
- When the test is complete, discard the sample water and rinse the test tube several times. I usually keep about 5 ml fresh water in it with the cap on during storage to prevent mineral buildup on the inside of the tube.