API Nitrate Test Kit
The API Nitrate Test Ket tests a water sample for the amount of nitrates (NO2<sup-</sup>)in a sample of fill water or water from your aquarium. A drop test such as the API test is considered more accurate than test strips.
The API Nitrate Test Kit is a test kit manufactured by API Fishcare, a subsidiary of Mars, Inc. It is used to test the level of nitrates (NO2<sup-</sup>) in your water in the range of 0 to 160 parts per million (ppm, mg/l). The kit contents are also available in the API Freshwater Master Test Kit.
The API Nitrate Test Kit comes with a 5 ml test tube, a bottle of nitrate test reagent number 1, a bottle of nitrate test reagent number 2, a color comparison chart, and instructions for the user.
- Rinse the test tube a couple of times in the water to be tested to clear out any impurities and old water.
- Fill the tube to the white line (5 ml) with sample water.
- Holding the nitrate reagent bottle number 1 upside down over the test tube, add 10 drops of reagent to the tube.
- I usually put the cap on the tube and invert it over and over for a minute to thoroughly mix the solution.
- Remove the cap and holding the nitrate reagent bottle number 2 over the test tube, add 10 drops of reagent to the tube.
- Replace the cap onto the tube and invert it over and over for a minute to thoroughly mix the solution.
- Let the sample stand for about 5 minutes to allow thorough chemical reaction to take place.
- Hold the tube next to the color chart so the white area of the chart is behind the tube and it is adjacent to the colors on the chart.
- The color closest to the test water indicates the level of nitrates in the water. Target level is less than 40 ppm (mg/l), but acceptable level is less than 40 ppm (mg/l).
- When the test is complete, discard the sample water and rinse the tube several times. I usually keep about 5 ml fresh water in it with the cap on during storage to prevent mineral buildup on the inside of the tube.