Peacock Cichlid (Cichla ocellaris)
From The Aquarium Wiki
1325 Litres (350 US G.)
63.5-73.7cm (25-29 ")
6.5 - 7.5
24 -27 °C (75.2-80.6°F)
This animal is available captive bred
- Peacock Cichlid, Peacock Bass, Tucunarè, Lukanani, Butterfly Peacock Bass, Eye Spot Cichlid
Additional scientific names
- Cichla sp, Acharnes speciosus, Cichla argus, Cichla atabapensis, Crenicichla orinocensis, Cychla argus, Cychla trifasciata, Cichlanemosis ornocesinisos
- A South American Cichlid found in the Marowijne drainage in Suriname and French Guiana to the Essequibo drainage in Guyana.
- These fish are difficult to sex while young. As they mature, males will develop a nuchal hump.
- Should only be kept with similar-sized robust tank mates. Smaller fish will be eaten. Best to keep one Peacock Bass to a tank as they can be territorial towards their own species, a bonded pair is possible however and will form a family.
- A carnivorous fish that will accept most meaty foods. In the wild it would take anything that came in (or fell in) reach including frogs, mice, rats, shrimp and occasionally other fish. In captivity feed it a stable diet of shrimp, earthworms, mealworms, crickets, wingless fruit flies, bloodworm and tubifex. It should also accept high quality Cichlid pellets. Try to avoid feeder fish, especially Goldfish, as well as dietary problems, it can also turn the fish so it will only accept live foods and will ignore pellets and dead food.
- Feed once or twice a day maximum.
- This fish must be in very large aquaria only and prefers a water temperature between 26.7-27.8°C (80-82°F) . Provide this fish with large open swimming space but not a brightly lit tank, cover in the form of tall plants or bogwood is appreciated.
- This fish is a predatory fish and an active swimmer. It will leap and jump. The peacock bass is a middle to top swimmer. Usually these fish wont eat things that fall to the bottom of the aquarium.
- The body of this fish is brown/green with three vertical dark stripes on their flanks (which may appear more as dark blotches or spots), it has stocky powerful body and large mouth, and a small black spot at base of tail.
|Peacock Bass with fry:||Being fed live fish:|
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )