Redtail Butterflyfish (Chaetodon collare)
From The Aquarium Wiki
208 Litres (55 US G.)
14-17.8cm (5.5-7 ")
8.2 - 8.5
22.2-23.9°C (72 -75 °F)
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
- Redtail Butterflyfish, Pakistan Butterflyfish, Red-tailed Butterflyfish, Collare Butterflyfish, Pakistani Butterflyfish
Additional scientific names
- Chaetodon viridis, Chaetodon praetextatus, Chaetodon parallelus, Chaetodon collare duplicicollis, Chaetodon fowleri
Origin[edit | edit source]
- Indo-West Pacific: Persian Gulf and Maldives to Japan, the Philippines and Indonesia.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- Ideally best kept in a fish-only set up as this fish will nip at corals, anemones and invertebrates. Can be kept in a pair as long as both fish introduced at once, or kept singly. Otherwise generally peaceful with tankmates, but do not keep with very small fish.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Will accept most meaty foods including shrimp.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed two or three times a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Provide this fish with as much open swimming space as possible as it can be quite active.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- A distinctive Butterflyfish which is the typical disc Butterflyfish shape. The flanks are a rich brown/black in colour with lighter coloured scales. Just before the eyes and in front of the gill plates there is a thick white vertical band, and two smaller white bands on the snout. The small caudal fin is vivid orange-red in colour which is edged with a black band.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )