Starlight Bristlenose Catfish (Ancistrus dolichopterus)
From The Aquarium Wiki
Starlight Bristlenose Catfish
57 Litres (15 US G.)
8.9-10.2cm (3.5-4 ")
6.0 - 7.0
22.8-27.8°C (73 -82 °F)
- Starlight Bristlenose Catfish, Bushymouth Catfish, L183
Additional scientific names
- Hypostoma punctatum, Xenocara dolichoptera
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Mature males have soft "tentacles" all across the nose, the females have very few or none at all.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- A peaceful catfish that would do well in a community tank. Do not keep with other Plecos as they can be territorial.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Primarily vegetarian taking algae wafers, blanched vegetables and algae from its environment. Will also eat bloodworms and other frozen foods.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day. May be more willing to eat after lights out.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Prefers soft water, can be kept in blackwater conditions and will thrive if kept so. Appreciates wood décor and hiding places. Can be a heavy waste producer so good filtration is a must.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- Can be territorial towards other Plecos including its own species, but these territories are small so if the environment is large and varied enough several can be housed together.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- Similar to its cousin the Bristlenose Catfish but less often seen. The body colour is black with very small pin-pricks of white spots all over, the edge of the caudal fin is banded with white.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )