Acropora palmata (Acropora palmata)
From The Aquarium Wiki
Alternative names[edit | edit source]
- Elkhorn Coral
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- A peaceful coral that should not be kept with fish or invertebrates that may nip it, nor with any other corals that may sting it with their long sweeping tentacles.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- This coral contains the symbiotic algae zooxanthellae from which it receives the majority of its nutritional requirements through photosynthesis. It generally does not require any supplemental feedings but may pick up any other micro-plankton or foods designed for other tank invertebrates.
Environment Specifics[edit | edit source]
- This coral does best in an established tank. It prefers a high water current and a high light level (400 to 600PAR), so does best in the middle to upper regions of the tank depending on the lighting. Needs stable water parameters to thrive, and adequate calcium to grow.
- This is an endangered species taking it from the wild is illegal, and morally wrong. If you encounter someone selling this species question weather they have the proper research permits to own this coral.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- A smooth skinned SPS coral that has small coloured polyps at the end of its purple branches. Growth is very horizontal and branches are very flat.