Rainbow Acanthastrea (Acanthastrea echinata)
From The Aquarium Wiki
Alternative names[edit | edit source]
- Rainbow Acanthastrea, Rainbow Acan, Acan Echinata, Pineapple Coral, Artichoke Coral, Starry Cup Coral, Favia
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- This coral has long tentacles and should not be placed near other corals or else they will sting each other.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- This coral is photosynthetic and contains zooxanthellae to feed on during the day. However, at night it will extend long sweeping tentacles to catch particles and can then be supplemented with foods such as brine shrimp and mysis shrimp.
Environment Specifics[edit | edit source]
- This is a coral found quite deep on the reef and should therefore not be kept in very bright lighting, preferring medium light levels.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- The coral has thick round corallites with small pointy teeth and concentric circles of thick 'fleshy' tissue. They look very similar to Favites abdita and are found in a variety of colours.