X-Ray Tetra (Pristella maxillaris)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from X-Ray Tetra)
57 Litres (15 US G.)
2.5-5.1cm (1-2 ")
6.0 - 8.0
24 -28 °C (75.2-82.4°F)
- X-Ray Tetra, X-Ray Fish, Goldfinch Tetra, Pristella Tetra, Signal Tetra
Additional scientific names
- Aphyocarax maxillaris, Aphyocharax maxillaris, Holopristis riddlei, Pristella riddlei
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Males can be distinguished from females by being smaller and thinner than the females.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- A peaceful mid-swimming and shoaling fish that should be kept in groups of 6 or more. Does well in peaceful community tanks. Should not be kept with slow-moving long-finned fish as these Tetras may fin-nip.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- In the wild they feed on worms, small crustaceans and insects. Will eat flake, bloodworm, daphnia, brine shrimp and micro-pellets.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Prefers a laterally spacious tank with open swimming space as well as hiding places.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- Peaceful, active and a good community fish. Will school in groups of 6 or more. Other fish use this fish as a spotter fish; that is, if there is a predator about these fish will spot it first. Therefore, other more timid fish will come out into the open more if you put these fish in your tank. Useful also to the aquarist as an indicator fish. If they are closely packed together, then they are alarmed and feel threatened. Usually if they are settled, they will disperse over your tank.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- An attractive and popular Tetra with an almost transparent silvery body. The body is a similar shape to other popular Tetras such as the Serpae Tetra. Colour on this fish is found in the fins, the caudal fin is a vibrant red while the dorsal and anal fins have yellow, black and white bands. A golden variety has been seen which has a silvery transparent body and yellow in the fins and some red in the caudal fin, it lacks any black colouration.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )