Vampire Tetra (Hydrolycus scomberoides)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Vampire Tetra)
946 Litres (250 US G.)
63.5-76.2cm (25-30 ")
6.0 - 8.0
23.9-27.8°C (75 -82 °F)
- Vampire Tetra, Sabretooth Tetra, Payara, Sabre Tooth Piranha, Vampire Piranha, Sabre Tusk Barracuda, Sabre Tooth Barracuda, Vampire Fish
Additional scientific names
- Hydrolycus payara, Hydrolycus pectoralis
Origin[edit | edit source]
- Originates from S. America including the Rio Orosa in Peru.
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Difficult to sex visually.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- Should only be kept with fish of equal or larger size. Anything smaller will be eaten. May be best housed in species tanks alone to avoid injuries. Lives in loose shoals in the wild when juvenile but becomes solitary as it matures.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Predatory fish, will take most meaty foods including shrimp and silversides. In the wild they predate on other fish including Piranha. May take some time to wean on to dead food and as an adult they may become exclusively piscavorous.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Needs a well filtered and oxygenated tank with a strong current to thrive. Can be a messy fish so regular water changes are a must. Does not need much in the way of decor, needs plenty of open swimming space and some caves.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- A predatory and potentially aggressive fish.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- A large and elongated fish with an equally large and upturned mouth with many visible teeth. Colouration is iridescent silver with mostly transparent fins, occasionally the fins may have a black border to them.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )