Rosy Barb (Pethia conchonius)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Rosy Barb)
76 Litres (20 US G.)
7.6-10.2cm (3-4 ")
7.2 - 7.8
18 -25 °C (64.4-77°F)
This animal is available captive bred
- Rosy Barb, Red Barb
Additional scientific names
- Barbus conchonius, Cyprinus conchonius, Puntius conchonius khagariansis, Systomus conchonius, Systomus pyropterus, Systomus pyrrhopterus, Puntius conchonius
Origin[edit | edit source]
- Found throughout Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, Nepal, and Bangladesh. There have been reports of it in Myanmar.
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Males are green towards the dorsal fin, females are redder. Males have black spots on the dorsal fin, also their fins grow quite long.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- One of the most peaceful of the Barbs, but just to be safe, do not keep with slow-moving or long-finned fish such as Bettas and Angelfish as they still may be fin nipped. Keep in shoaling groups of 5 or more, more females than males if mixed sexes.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Will accept most foods including pellet and flake as well as live/frozen food such as bloodworm and brine shrimp.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Fairly hardy towards most tank environments. Keep in a spacious tank with ample open swimming space as well as hiding places.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- One of the more peaceful Barbs that is unlikely to be aggressive towards tank mates, especially if kept in a shoal. It should be remembered that this fish can get bigger than many community fish, and to be careful not to keep fish with a major difference in size in the same tank.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- The Rosy Barb has no barbels and has slight lateral compression. The back is copper to green-gold, the flanks are bright orange to red and metallic looking. Near the caudal peduncle is a black spot. The reddish fins may be elaborate with the anal and dorsal fins have black borders along the upper-parts. Males turn a deep, but bright red colour at spawning times.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: ) Distribution
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )