Banded Barb (Desmopuntius johorensis)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Lined Barb)
114 Litres (30 US G.)
10-12 cm (3.9-4.7")
6.0 - 6.5
22.8-26.1°C (73 -79 °F)
Additional scientific names
- Barbus fasciatus, Barbus eugrammus, Barbus tetrazona johorensis, Puntius eugrammus, Systomus johorensis, Puntius johorensis
Origin[edit | edit source]
- Native to southern Thailand, Penisular Malaysia, Singapore, and the islands of Sumatra (Indonesia) and Borneo (Malaysia, Indonesia and Brunei Darussalam) with type locality ‘Muar River, Tebing Tinggi, Johore, Malaysia’.
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Males have darker bands and smaller bodies. Mature females tent to be larger.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- Should be kept in shoals of at least 5-6 individuals. Keep with similar sized peaceful fish only.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Feed with high quality flakes or pellets, should also accept blanched vegetables and small meaty foods such as brine shrimp.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Needs a large aquarium with plenty of lateral swimming space. Plant the tank densely so this fish feels secure. Prefers acidic conditions and dim lighting.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- A timid Barb which should be kept in schools of at least 5-6.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- This Barb has a gold body colour with 5 black bands running horizontally along the flanks.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )