Liberty Molly (Poecilia salvatoris)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Liberty Molly)
57 Litres (15 US G.)
5-7.5 cm (2-3")
7.2 - 7.8
24 -28 °C (75.2-82.4°F)
This animal is available captive bred
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
Origin[edit | edit source]
- From Central America, primarily El Salvador.
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Males are smaller and have a modified anal fin called a gonopodium which allows the male to deposit sperm.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- A lively little fish that can fin nip. Should be kept in groups with a few more females than males as the males will fight with one another. Do not keep with long-finned fish, but should be fine with other robust short-finned and fast fish.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Flake, dried fish food. Mollies will eat a small amount of meat. Raw cockles, Bloodworm, etc. It will even eat a small amount of soft algae if not over fed. They also like to eat some blanched vegetables like courgette, cucumber or lettuce.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- Can be aggressive towards each other, especially males, and can fin nip other tank mates.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- Smaller than the more well known Mollies, the Liberty Molly has rusty-red coloured fins and a blue-silver body.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )