Electric Blue Johannii (Melanochromis johannii)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Johanni Cichlid)
Electric Blue Johannii
208 Litres (55 US G.)
8-10 cm (3.1-3.9")
8.0 - 8.7
22 -25 °C (71.6-77°F)
- Electric Blue Johannii, Blue Mbuna, Bluegrey Mbuna, Johanni Cichlid
Additional scientific names
- Pseudotropheus johannii
Origin[edit | edit source]
- Endemic to Lake Malawi.
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Males are blue whereas juveniles and females are yellow.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- Should be kept in an African Cichlid Mbuna set up only. Several females should be kept per male.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Will accept most foods including cichlid pellets, live/frozen food such as bloodworm and brine shrimp and will also nibble at plant matter. Common diseases are Malawi Bloat from too much protein. Mbuna are mostly herbivores, do not feed them like South American Cichlids, something low protein like New Life Balance is good. Emerald Entree is a good low protein frozen food. They love fresh vegetables, weigh them down with something and they'll figure it out eventually.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day. more often when they're younger so they reach maximum size
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Prefers a typical Mbuna type set up of a high pH and rockwork decor. At least 2 caves per cichlid.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- Territorial and aggressive, a typical African Cichlid.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- Elongated vibrantly coloured fish. Males are brilliant sky blue to dark blue, the colours show a "checkerboard" pattern with alternating light and dark patches, with several light-coloured "egg spots" on their anal fin. Females and juveniles bright yellow-orange in colour. Can be mistaken for Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )