Coral Banded Shrimp (Stenopus hispidus)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Barber-Pole Shrimp)
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
Coral Banded Shrimp
95 Litres (25 US G.)
7.6-10.2cm (3-4 ")
8.2 - 8.4
23 -28 °C (73.4-82.4°F)
- Coral Banded Shrimp, Red Banded Shrimp, Banded Coral Shrimp, Banded Prawn, Banded Boxer Shrimp, Barber-Pole Shrimp
- Males are smaller and more slender than females.
- Will nibble on corals and not safe with other invertebrates such as small hermit crabs and other shrimp. Do not keep with aggressive fish that may eat shrimp.
- A scavenger by nature, prefers meaty foods. Will remove dead tissue, algae and parasites from larger fish. Will even pick at hands that are trying to clean the tank!
- As this shrimp is a scavenger, it will need to have various foods on offer at all times or else it may starve. It is also nocturnal and will only really feed at night.
- Nocturnal, so needs a cave to hide in during the day.
- This is a cleaner shrimp so will approach large fish to pick off dead tissue and parasites.
- A slender shrimp with very long legs, pincers and antennae. The shrimp is banded down its body and legs with white and red/brown, which makes it a striking addition to any saltwater tank.