African Arowana (Heterotis niloticus)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from African Bony-Tongue)
568 Litres (150 US G.)
90-100 cm (35.4-39.4")
6.5 - 7.2
25 -30 °C (77-86°F)
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
- African Arowana, African Bony-Tongue, Heterotis Arowana, Stoneside
Additional scientific names
- Clupisudis niloticus, Heterotis adansoni, Heterotis adansonii, Heterotis ehrenbergii, Heterotis nilotica, Sudis adansonii, Sudis nilotica, Sudis niloticus
- This fish does not tolerate it's own kind. Will eat any fish smaller than itself but is non-aggressive towards larger fish. Keep with larger robust but relatively peaceful tank mates such as Silver Dollars or large Plecos.
- A plankton and filter feeder and should accept most meaty foods like live worms, small fish, insects and shrimp. Some may wean on to dry foods, but not always.
- Feed once or twice a day.
- It is a more of a brownish colour than a silvery colour, but as they grow older they get darker in colour. They don't have the upward mouth like the other Arowanas. They have more of a rounded head and no barbels on their mouths. They are very uncommon for sale but are cheap when they are found for sale.
|In a community tank:|
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )