About TetraPrima[edit | edit source]
TetraPrima is a commerical food by Tetra for mid-water and bottom feeding tropical fish and aquatic frogs such as Dwarf African Frogs. It comes in a variety of plastic tubs with a foil seal. This food is a small (1-3mm), granular type red coloured food which quickly sinks and is taken by most bottom feeders.
Manufacturer[edit | edit source]
Food Type[edit | edit source]
- It stays together on the substrate and does not fall apart for a long time.
Date stamp[edit | edit source]
The container should have a clear date stamp somewhere and you need to check this. Fish food doesn't last forever, even if unopened, and you will want food that has at least 6 months of life still in it.
Quality[edit | edit source]
All proper, high quality food should come in a sealed container of some kind as exposure to the air starts the decay process of any vitamins and protein. Never buy any that has the seal broken as they could be infected with bacteria.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
A typical commerical product will list all its ingredients, the order these are shown indicate the largest amount of that food.
- Fish and fish derivatives - The main food
- Vegetable protein - Adds extra protein.
- Cereals - Often used to bulk out the food and to hold it together.
- Molluscs and crustaceans
- Oils and fats - This provides smell and holds it together.
- L-lysine monochlorhydrate - amino acid & protein booster. See Lysine
- Lecithin - Food binder
- Citric acid
- Colourants and preservatives
- Various added vitamins - Vitamin A, D3,E, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate
Analysis[edit | edit source]
(from 30g tub)
- Protein 47.5%
- Oil 6.5%
- Fibre 2%
- Ash 10.5%
- Moisture 6%
Vitamins and amount per Kg[edit | edit source]
- A 29 770 IU
- D3 1 860 IU
- E 200 mg
- L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphae 137 mg
Video[edit | edit source]
Female DAF eating TetraPrima