Cross River Bichir (Polypterus teugelsi)
Cross River Bichir
473 Litres (125 US G.)
40-50.6 cm (15.7-19.9")
6.5 - 7.5
25 -27 °C (77-80.6°F)
This animal is available captive bred
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
- The male's anal fin is lobe like.
- An aggressive predator of smaller fish. Keep only with robust similar-sized tank mates.
- A carnivore, feed meaty foods such as earthworms, shrimp, bloodworms, mussels and silversides.
- Feed once a day when young and 3 times a week when adult. Should be fed at night after lights out.
- Foot print of tank is more important then depth. As this is a medium Polypteridae, 4 sq. foot of bottom per individual, 8 sq. feet of bottom min. A depth of 16" inches is sufficient. A messy feeder so good filtration is a must. A sandy substrate is preferred. Large rocks and bogwood for hiding places are favoured. A secure lid is a must as this fish is a known escape.
- Low light is preferred. Most active at night.
- A medium size elongated Polypeterus
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )