Armor Bill Tetra (Phago loricatus)
From The Aquarium Wiki
Armor Bill Tetra
132 Litres (35 US G.)
14-16 cm (5.5-6.3")
6.0 - 7.2
22 -27 °C (71.6-80.6°F)
- Armor Bill Tetra, African Pike-Characin
Additional scientific names
- Phago maculatus
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- A predatory fin-nipper that is best kept in a species tank alone or in a group of 4-5 or more of its own species, as it will be predatory to both smaller and larger fish. May well eat inverts too.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Requires a meaty diet with live/frozen foods such as daphnia, brine shrimp and bloodworm. May accept flakes or pellets but will take some weaning.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Needs a mature laterally spacious dimly-lit tank with some dense planting combined with open swimming space and a very secure lid as this fish may jump.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- A slender predatory fish known for fin nipping and removing scales of other fish.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- This fish is a long slender elongated fish with large round eyes and a pointed snout. It has 3-5 vertical black stripes on dorsal fin formed by small black spots. It has 2-3 brown-black oblique stripes on caudal fin. The flanks are uniformly coloured or marked with vertical spots on lateral line generally joining together at the back end of the fish.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )