Hard-Lipped Barb (Osteochilus hasseltii)
From The Aquarium Wiki
284 Litres (75 US G.)
25-32 cm (9.8-12.6")
6.0 - 7.0
22 -25 °C (71.6-77°F)
- Hard-Lipped Barb, Silver Sharkminnow, Nilem Carp
Additional scientific names
- Rohita hasseltii, Labeo neilli, Osteochilus duostigma
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- These fish are difficult to visually sex but mature females may be slightly broader in the mid-section when compared to slimmer males.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- A generally peaceful large growing fish that should be kept with peaceful fish of similar size. Should not be a threat to smaller fish but avoid very small fish and fry, especially bottom dwelling. Thrive with their own species as long as they are in groups of 5 or more.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Primarily herbivorous and will eat the roots of plants and some algae. Feed sinking algae wafers and pellets as well as blanched veges. May take some live/frozen foods such as daphnia.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Requires a spacious tank with fine gravel substrate, sand will be kicked up and may damage filtration. Will uproot plants, this can be avoided by making sure they are well fed. The tank should be at least 152.4cm (60") to 182.9cm (72") in length, larger is better.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- A mid-bottom dwelling peaceful Cyprinid which uses its strong lips to dig through the substrate looking for food.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- An elongate oval fish with a tall and long triangular dorsal fin. The body is silver to olive-green to brown in colour with a pale belly and gold iridescence on the scales. The fins may have some red in them. The lips of this fish are thick and strong with one set of barbels.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )