Red Hook Silver Dollar (Myloplus rubripinnis)
From The Aquarium Wiki
Red Hook Silver Dollar
568 Litres (150 US G.)
35-40 cm (13.8-15.7")
5.0 - 7.0
23 -27 °C (73.4-80.6°F)
- Red Hook Myleus, Red Hook Silver Dollar, Red Hook Pacu, Redhook Myleus
Additional scientific names
- Aphyocharax rubripinnis, Myletes luna, Myletes rubripinnis, Myleus rubripinnis
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Mature males are smaller than mature females and have a wavy anal fin with orange spotting on the body.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- A peaceful fish that should not pose a threat to smaller fish, they may annoy shy or inactive fish however as Red Hooks are very active.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Primarily herbivorous. Feed vegetable/algae-based foods. This fish will eat live plants within its environment.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- This fish must have a long tank with plenty of ample swimming space. A secure lid is a must.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- A peaceful and very active fish.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- A high sided fish which is laterally depressed. The body is iridescent silver with some orange spotting, and all fins but the anal fin are translucent. The anal fin is curved and red with black edging, giving this fish its common name.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )