Blue Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia lacustris)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Turquoise Rainbowfish)
170 Litres (45 US G.)
10.2-12.7cm (4-5 ")
7.0 - 8.0
20 -24 °C (68-75.2°F)
- Blue Rainbowfish, Lake Kutubu Rainbowfish, Turquoise Rainbowfish
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- It is not easy to sex this fish, occasionally the male will be slightly more vivid in colour and when mature, the male's body is slightly deeper. Both males and females will display, but females less often.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- Can be kept with similar sized peaceful community fish. Keep this fish in groups of 5 or more.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Will accept most foods including pellet and flake as well as live/frozen foods such as bloodworm and brine shrimp.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Requires a spacious and laterally long tank as these fish are active swimmers.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- A peaceful active shoaling fish.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- This Rainbowfish has the typical deep-bodied, high-backed and laterally compressed body shape. It has a dark lateral line and the rest of the body is a rich iridescent turquoise colour, the belly being more yellow.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )