White Cloud Mountain Minnow (Tanichthys albonubes)
From The Aquarium Wiki
White Cloud Mountain Minnow
38 Litres (10 US G.)
2.5-3.8cm (1-1.5 ")
6.0 - 8.0
16 -23 °C (60.8-73.4°F)
This animal is available captive bred
- Meteor Minnow, Golden White Cloud, White Cloud Mountain Minnow, Chinese Danio
Additional scientific names
- Aphyocypris pooni
Origin[edit | edit source]
- Thought to now be extinct in the wild. They were found in China and Vietnam.
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Male is slimmer and more brightly coloured and will display by erecting fins and wriggling. The female have a fuller abdomen.
Breeding[edit | edit source]
- This fish is quite easy to breed. The young are not particularly sensitive. After a winter period at lower temperature, slowly raise the water temperature in a separated breeding tank to 22-23C. This fish are free layers so the breeding tank must contain plenty of feathery-leafed plants. Also attach a substrate spawner a few centimetres above the bottom to prevent the parent fish from eating the eggs.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- An active shoaling fish that appreciates company of it's own kind, keep in groups of 5 or more. Will co-habit with most fish but do not keep with larger fish that could eat it such as Angelfish or Goldfish. Does best with other peaceful sub-tropical fish that appreciate a similar environment such as the Hillstream Loach.
Diet[edit | edit source]
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day in small amounts.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Prefers a planted tank with a good current as they originate from fast-moving streams. The White Cloud Mountain Minnow is an active swimmer. These fish like plenty of space for swimming with dense peripheral vegetation and some floating plants. A bottom consisting partly of sand will give the fish an opportunity to search for food in it now and then.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- This is a shoaling fish so must be kept in groups of 5 or more. It is a very peaceful community fish.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- An attractive elongated fish with a bold iridescent white lateral line topped with a slender black line, the rest of the body translucent, the caudal fin and dorsal fin both have red colouration. There is a yellow, or golden, colour variant, as well as a long-fin variant.
Species notes[edit | edit source]
- This fish's ability to survive (and breed) over a wide range of water conditions, temperature and general hardiness means it's cheap and an excellent choice for beginners.
- This fish is sensitive to copper in the water so ensure that you do not overdose when using any treatments containing copper and accidentally poison them.
- It's latin name Tanichthys albonubes literally means "Tan's fish, white cloud". It was named after a boy scout leader named Tan who discovered it in the 1930s.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )