Demason's Cichlid (Pseudotropheus demasoni)
From The Aquarium Wiki
208 Litres (55 US G.)
6.4-10.2cm (2.5-4 ")
7.0 - 8.6
25.6-27.8°C (78 -82 °F)
- Demason's Cichlid, Demasoni Cichlid
Origin[edit | edit source]
- Endemic to Lake Malawi.
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Males have darker and more vivid color, while females a less color full.Males are generally larger when mature and have more pointed anal and dorsal fins. Males also have egg spots on there anal fin.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- These are aggressive Cichlids and should be kept in exceptionally large shoals to spread the aggression, preferably around 12 together. Must only be kept with other Mbuna Cichlids, however they shouldn't be kept with similarly coloured Cichlids such as Cynotilapia afra. These are tough little Cichlids and can hold their own with other aggressive Cichlids.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- A herbivorous Cichlid, will take spirulina flakes, blanched vegetables and algae-based foods.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Likes a rocky environment with a strong current and excellent filtration.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- An aggressive little Cichlid that will defend itself. Once in a large shoal there will be an dominant male who chooses which females to breed with, and will chase all other males. They are curious fish and appreciate caves and rocks to explore around.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- A striking fish, they have a dark blue base colour with thick pale blue vertical bands running right down the body.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )