Leopold's Angelfish (Pterophyllum leopoldi)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Leopold's Angelfish)
132 Litres (35 US G.)
5.1-7.9cm (2-3.1 ")
5.0 - 6.2
25 -28 °C (77-82.4°F)
- Leopold's Angelfish
Additional scientific names
- Pterophyllum dumerilli
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Generally difficult as with all angels. When kept in a group two will pair off and when ready to spawn will defend their territory vigorously. When ready to spawn The female ovipositor will be rounder than the males. The male organ will come to a point as opposed to the female organ. Generally the male is larger than the female.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- Is compatible with most fish but becomes very aggressive when breeding. Due to their small mouths even tetras (But not very small ones) are safe.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Natural diet is fruits,ants, termites, and food particles collected from the detritus at the bottom of the stream or river. In captivity should be fed a well rounded diet consisting of good quality flake, frozen bloodworm and mosquito larvae. Is omnivorous and will generally eat anything offered. Caution must be given not to overfeed, as this fish will overeat causing excess fat and a shorter life.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed twice a day, as much food as can be eaten in approximately 1 minute or less. A fast day once a week is good practice.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Temp 25-28°C (77-82.4°F) , raise to 32°C (89.6°F) to stimulate spawning. pH up to 7.5 but lower to 6.0 or less to stimulate spawning. Acidic clear water, tannin stained is natural.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- Generally a peaceable fish except when spawning and protecting young. Will argue amongst own kind to develop a pecking order and territory.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- It differs from other angelfish by the noticeable absence of a pre-dorsal notch. There is a black blotch on the body approximately in the middle of the base of the dorsal fin (diagnostic). Fins are normally shorter than body length.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )