Regal Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Hippo Tang)
284 Litres (75 US G.)
27.9-30.5cm (11-12 ")
8.1 - 8.5
22.2-25.6°C (72 -78 °F)
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
Additional scientific names
- Teuthis hepatus, Acanthurus hepatus, Acanthurus theuthis, Paracanthurus theuthis
Origin[edit | edit source]
- Indo-Pacific: East Africa, including the Mascarene Islands to Kiribati, north to southern Japan, south to the southern Great Barrier Reef, New Caledonia, and Samoa.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- A reasonably peaceful fish that is reef compatible. Should not be kept with other Tangs as it may be territorial towards others of both its own species and those of similar shape.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Will eat most foods and prefers a varied diet. Will take mysis shrimp, blanched vegetables and prepared foods.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Needs a large and spacious tank with places to hide and open spaces to swim.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- An active and curious fish that often has a distinct personality. This fish has often been known to "play dead" a lot when first added into the tank.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- Thanks to the film 'Finding Nemo', the Regal Tang is now easily identified by most people. It's base colour is a vivid blue/purple with a darker blue/black band across the top half of the body, the pattern will vary from fish to fish. The caudal fin is yellow and outlined in black and the pectoral fins are also tipped with yellow.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )