Amazon Frogbit (Limnobium laevigatum)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Frogbit)
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
Description[edit | edit source]
- A floating aquatic plant which bears a superficial similarity to the water hyacinth. Young plants grow in swirling rosettes which lie flat on the water's surface. A characteristic trait of the young plants is the presence of spongy aerenchyma tissue on the underside of the leaf. Adult plants produce small white flowers during reproduction.
- They can reproduce both sexually via flowering and asexually via fragmentation of stolon segments. This ability to easily vegetatively reproduce enables them to have a huge capacity for quickly spreading over a large area.
Alternative Names and variants[edit | edit source]
- Amazon Frogbit, South American Frogbit
Other similar species[edit | edit source]
Environment Specifics[edit | edit source]
- Requires good light, a mature tank preferably receiving fertilisation and slow to medium water flow.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Very handy plant to give shade and security to small fish or fry. The long roots provide a growth medium for infusoria an important food for small fish.