False Flying Fox (Garra cambodgiensis)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from False flying fox)
False Flying Fox
76 Litres (20 US G.)
10.2-12.7cm (4-5 ")
6.0 - 8.0
20 -25 °C (68-77°F)
- False Flying Fox, False Siamese Algae Eater, Stonelapping Minnow, False Flying Fox
Additional scientific names
- Garra taeniata, Garra parvifilum, Epalzeorhynchos sp.
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Difficult to visually sex, mature females may be fuller in the belly than more slender males.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- A generally peaceful algae eating fish, will not tolerate others of it's own kind however, nor other similar-looking fish.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Mostly an algae eater, with a liking for the odd catfish pellet. It will also appreciate a chunk of cucumber or baby marrow. Prepare the vegetables by putting it in water, in the microwave for about 40 seconds, to help it to sink. It also eats normal fish flakes, but this is not sufficient on it's own.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Once a day with a algae tablet if your tank is free of algae.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Require a reasonable water current with a high oxygen content. Planted tank will be preferred.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- Does not tolerate other similar shaped fish to be near it. Will chase the others away from its claimed territory but do not appear to hurt each other. However if your tank is long and well planted you can get away with having several of these fish if they do not have constant sight of each other.
- Prefers to sit on large leaves well off the substrate.
- This fish pales significantly at night.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- This fish is often sold as the very popular Siamese algae eater or Flying fox by less knowledgeable aquarium shops. However its long bright line above the dark band and the fact the dark band does not go right up to the end of the caudal fin is the clue to its true identity. It's fins are tinted yellow.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )