Butterfly Pleco (Dekeyseria brachyura)
From The Aquarium Wiki
57 Litres (15 US G.)
12.7-14cm (5-5.5 ")
5.6 - 7.0
25 -28 °C (77-82.4°F)
Additional scientific names
- Ancistrus brachyurus, Peckoltia brachyura, Zonancistrus brachyurus
Origin[edit | edit source]
- South America: Lower Negro River basin in Brazil.
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Mature females are broader in the mid-section than males.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- A peaceful Pleco that does well in a peaceful community tank, is not overly territorial towards its own kind either. Keep with similar-sized peaceful community fish.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- A voracious algae eater that needs constant supply of algae, algae wafers and blanched vegetables. May nibble live plants if not enough food is provided.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Supplement once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Prefers a spacious well filtered tank with hiding places around bogwood and rounded river rocks.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- A peaceful Pleco.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- This fish can be easily misindentified due to its chameleon-like tendencies! It has the ability to change colour depending on its surroundings, if it's on dark substrate it will appear almost black, but if it's kept on lighter substrate it will show its distinctive orange-white and black banded colouration. At night it will appear black.
- Similar to L052, but the D. brachyura's bands are more clearly defined.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )