Crucian carp (Carassius carassius)
From The Aquarium Wiki
114 Litres (30 US G.)
8-20 cm (3.1-7.9")
6.5 - 7.5
10-25°C (50 -77 °F)
This animal is available captive bred
- Crucian Carp, Prussian Carp, Gibel carp
Additional scientific names
- Cyprinus moles, Carassius moles, Cyprinus carassius, Carassius carassius carassius, Carassius humilis, Cyprinus charax, Carassius charax, Carassius vulgaris, Carassius linnaei, Cyprinus gibelio minutus, Carassius gibelio minutus, Carassius oblongus, Carassius auratus gibelio
- Found across Eurasia from England to Russia. Widely introduced elsewhere.
- Mature females will be fuller bodied to males. These fish can hybridise with Goldfish.
- Feed once or twice a day.
- Very similar care to the Common Goldfish, does best in large ponds rather than tanks.
- Generally peaceful.
- Compared to the related Goldfish, the Crucian Carp has a more convex dorsal fin, and deeper body, than "wild coloured" Goldfish.
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )