Royal Tetra (Inpaichthys kerri)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Blue Emperor Tetra)
45 Litres (12 US G.)
2-3.3cm (0.8-1.3 ")
6.0 - 8.0
24 -27 °C (75.2-80.6°F)
- Blue Emperor Tetra, Royal Tetra, Kerri Tetra, Purple Emperor Tetra
Origin[edit | edit source]
- South America: Aripuanã River, upper Madeira River basin, Mato Grosso, Brazil.
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Males have more elongated fins and are more vibrant in colour. Males will also have blue adipose fins while females will have red/oranges ones.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- Keep these fish in groups of 6 or more. Does well in peaceful community tanks but do not keep with large predatory or aggressive fish.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Will accept most foods including pellet and flake as well as live/frozen food such as bloodworm and brine shrimp.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Prefers a dimly lit spacious tank with floating plants and bogwood hiding places as well as dense planting and some open swimming space.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- An active peaceful shoaling fish.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- The male and female are different in colouration, the male's dorsal fin is elongated and adipose fin is blue. The other fins are transparent, but the pectoral and anal fins also have a tinge of blue. The back is light blue. A broad iridescent dark blue stripe extends from the snout through the eye and to the caudal fin. From this stripe up the body is light blue. Under the stripe is pale blue until the belly where the colour changes to beige. The female also has an elongated dorsal fin but the adipose fin is brown or black. It has a broad black line instead of blue and the area above it is beige with silvery-blue sheen, in reflected light. The belly is white and occasionally has a silvery sheen. The fins are transparent.
- Not to be confused with Nematobrycon palmeri.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )