Black Devil Stingray (Potamotrygon leopoldi)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Black Devil Stingray)
Black Devil Stingray
473 Litres (125 US G.)
35-40 cm (13.8-15.7")
6.0 - 6.8
20 -25 °C (68-77°F)
- Leopoldi Stingray, Polka-Dot Stingray, Black Devil Stingray, White-Blotched River Stingray, Yellow-Spotted Black Amazon Stingray, Xingu River Ray, Black Ray, Eclipse Ray, P13
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Males have modified pelvic fins visible on their underside whereas females do not.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- It should not be kept with fish small enough to be eaten. Be careful if keeping with other Rays as they can get overexcited at feeding time and pick on other fish. Also do not keep with aggressive or fin-nipping fish that can damage the Ray's delicate disc.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- A carnivorous fish that will take frozen or live foods, they are partial to shrimp. Will also take earthworms, mealworms, silversides and crustaceans.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- A soft sandy substrate is required. The ideal tank is long and wide as depth is not as much of an issue as footprint size. The tank should be very well filtered and mature. Any décor should be very secure to avoid being toppled, and should not get in the way of the Ray.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- This is a bottom dweller however it will surface for food. One of the more active of the freshwater Rays, will therefore need plenty of space to roam, and substrate to sift through.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- Typical stingray disc shape, smooth disc which is black/grey in colour with large pale yellow spots covering the top half of the body.
Special Note[edit | edit source]
- This species of Ray has been banned from export from their native Brazil, they're also difficult to breed in captivity. The price of these to buy is extortionately high and if you have found one to buy make sure it has not been illegally smuggled out of Brazil before purchase.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )