Tiger Shovelnose Catfish (Pseudoplatystoma fasciatum)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Barred Sorubim)
1325 Litres (350 US G.)
100-104 cm (39.4-40.9")
6.0 - 8.0
24 -28 °C (75.2-82.4°F)
- Tiger Shovelnose Catfish, Barred Sorubim, Dorada
Additional scientific names
- Silurus fasciatus, Pseudoplatystoma fasciatum fasciatum, Platystoma artedii
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Females tend to be thicker-set then males.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- A very large catfish that will eat any fish smaller than itself. Best in very large tropical set ups with chunky similar sized fish such as large Pacu.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Will eat any fish or other prey that will fit in it's mouth. In the aquarium it may be fed earthworms, feeder fish, or shrimp.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Only feed when fish is actively searching for food. About every few days.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- A very large set up with excellent filtration, a tropical pond over 3785 Litres (1000 US G.) is ideal. Any decor must be very large and very secure.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- A predatory catfish.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- The body of the Tiger Shovelnose Catfish is long and slender and has a beautiful silver colouration. Black stripes and spots cover the entire body, giving this fish a tiger-like appearance. The mouth is adorned with very long whiskers, and is long and flat in shape.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )