Azureus Cichlid (Copadichromis azureus)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Azureus Cichlid)
284 Litres (75 US G.)
12.7-15.2cm (5-6 ")
7.8 - 8.2
25 -28 °C (77-82.4°F)
- Azureus Cichlid, Nkhomo Reef Cichlid
Additional scientific names
- Haplochromis chrysonotus
Origin[edit | edit source]
- Endemic to Lake Malawi.
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Mature males are vivid blue, females are a more grey colour with 3 black spots. Mature males are larger than females. Juvenile fish are all coloured as the mature female and males will develop the blue colours as they grow from about 8 months old.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- A reasonably peaceful African Cichlid, can be kept with other Malawi Cichlids of similar size and temperament.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- This fish eats plankton in the wild, and is not a fussy eater in captivity. Will take cichlid pellets, krill or brine shrimp.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Prefers rock decor, no planting, a sandy substrate and a strong current.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- Not as aggressive as some African Cichlids, likes rock work to hide in and needs open space to swim in. A sandy substrate is required if these fish are to breed as they dig nests.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- The males are a bright blue when mature, they are at their most colourful aged 10-12 months. They are blue with visible vertical bands, when younger they have three spots on their flanks. When mature the dorsal fin is edged with white.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )