Glass Catfish (Kryptopterus vitreolus)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Asian Glass Catfish)
76 Litres (20 US G.)
6.4-7.6cm (2.5-3 ")
6.5 - 7.5
24.4-27.8°C (76 -82 °F)
Origin[edit | edit source]
- Asia: Peninsular and southeastern Thailand; absent in central Thailand. Report from Penang, Malaysia requires verification.
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- These fish are difficult to sex, however, females are a little plumper when mature.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- Does well in a peaceful community tank with similar sized fish. Keep this fish in groups of 4 or more, they do not do well singly. Do not keep with aggressive fish as these catfish will be bullied.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Will accept most foods including pellet and flake, benefits from live foods such as bloodworm and brine shrimp.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- This fish can be quite sensitive to water conditions, so is best suited to mature tanks with regular small water changes. Requires plenty of hiding places as well as some open swimming space. Originates from slow moving pieces of water with dense vegetation.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- Passive and can be shy and very accepting of their own species. This is a tight schooling fish and needs the company of its own kind.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- An elongated laterally compressed and distinctive catfish. The body is seemingly entirely transparent, bar the head which is silver, with internal organs and backbone visible. The body can have iridescent rainbow colours in the right light. The catfish has a long pair of barbels and the fins are also clear, the dorsal fin is present but very tiny.
- This fish is often labelled wrongly as the larger and less commonly imported Kryptopterus bicirrhis.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )