Midas Cichlid (Amphilophus citrinellus)
From The Aquarium Wiki
379 Litres (100 US G.)
25.4-33cm (10-13 ")
6.8 - 7.8
23 -33 °C (73.4-91.4°F)
This animal is available captive bred
- Midas Cichlid
Additional scientific names
- Amphilophus citrinellum, Archocentrus citrinellus, Cichlasoma citrinella, Cichlasoma citrinellum, Herichthys citrinellus, Heros citrinellus
- Found across Central America across the Atlantic slope of Nicaragua and Costa Rica (San Juan River drainage, including Lakes Nicaragua, Managua, Masaya and Apoyo).
- Mature males exhibit a large distinctive nuchal hump, juveniles will be difficult to sex.
- Highly aggressive with themselves and other species and tank mates should be considered very carefully. If brought up with robust tank mates, they can work with other large Cichlids such as Oscars, but this should not be attempted if the fish are mature when introduced. Should not be kept with predatory nocturnal catfish as they will disturb the Midas' sleep.
- Omnivorous and appreciate a varied diet of Cichlid pellets and Cichlid feed sticks, live food as well including insects such as crickets are acceptable, bloodworm is NOT recommended. Any other food containing large amounts of protein can harm the Midas also.
- Once or twice a day.
- Needs a large tank with rock and wood decor with sand or small gravel substrate. Provide hiding places. The tank should be well filtered as this fish can be messy, especially at feeding time, and it may uproot planting. Any decor should be very firmly placed as this fish will dig and can topple unstable decor.
- An exceptionally territorial Cichlid with its own kind and other species. House with other fish with caution.
- Can be mistakenly sold as the similar Red Devil. Said to be one of the fish responsible for the hybrid Blood Parrot Cichlid, they are also responsible for the popular hybrid the Flowerhorn. Wild fish are grey to olive green in colour, captive bred stocks come in a range of oranges with white markings.
|Juvenile wild-type:||Adult male:|
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )