Achilles Surgeonfish (Acanthurus achilles)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Achilles Surgeonfish)
284 Litres (75 US G.)
17.8-20.3cm (7-8 ")
8.0 - 8.4
22.2-23.9°C (72 -75 °F)
- Achilles Tang, Red-Tailed Surgeonfish, Redspot Surgeonfish
Additional scientific names
- Acanthurus achillas, Acanthurus aterrimus, Hepatus achilles, Hepatus aterrimus, Teuthis achilles, Teuthis aterrimus
Origin[edit | edit source]
- Western Pacific: Oceanic Islands of Oceania to the Hawaiian and Pitcairn islands. Also known from Wake, Marcus, and Mariana islands. Eastern Central Pacific: southern tip of Baja California, Mexico and other offshore islands.
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Very difficult to visually sex this fish.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- Territorial to others of it's own species or other Tangs or Surgeonfish. Reef compatible otherwise and peaceful towards other fish and invertebrates.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Primarily grazes on algae, provide a healthy established reef system and supplement with foods such as spirulina. May accept small meaty foods like brine shrimp.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Difficult to keep in captivity. Prefers very large tanks with lots of swimming space. If it's environment and food is not perfect, it can be susceptible to diseases such as Ich. In the wild it lives in the surge zone of the reef, therefore will appreciate a wave maker in captivity. Needs a salinity of around 1.020.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- A territorial fish towards other Tangs or fish that resemble Tangs in body shape, peaceful towards other fish.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- Striking orange on black markings. Typical oval Tang body shape, black base colour with white edging to fins and gills, orange tail and a tear drop shaped orange marking at the base of the tail. These markings will show true when the fish is mature, and may differ in juveniles.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )