Sunset Platy (Xiphophorus variatus)
From The Aquarium Wiki
45 Litres (12 US G.)
5.1-7.6cm (2-3 ")
7.2 - 7.8
23 -28 °C (73.4-82.4°F)
This animal is available captive bred
- Variatus Platy, Sunset Platy, Variegated Platy, Variable Platyfish
Additional scientific names
- Platypoecilus maculatus dorsalis, Platypoecilus variatus, Platypoecilus variegatus
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Females have a fan shaped anal fin and males have a gonopodium. These fish breed readily in the tank and produce 50-100 fry every four to six weeks.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- A peaceful community fish. They must be kept in the ratio of one male per two-three females as the males will bully females. Males may also bully other livebearers.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Will accept most foods including pellet and flake as well as live/frozen food such as bloodworm and brine shrimp.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- They prefer a spacious tank with open swimming space as well as hiding places. Hardy to most water types as long as extremes are avoided.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- A peaceful sociable active fish.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- Click here to see the various hybrid colour variations on the Platy.
- An elongated fish with a fan-shaped caudal fin. The back is slightly arched, and the belly is full. The body colouration is variable, even on the original strain. Usually the flanks are yellowish to orange, to bluish with black spots. The dorsal fin is generally yellow and the caudal fin is red. Females are generally less colourful.
- Through selective breeding various cultivated varieties are available including the Marigold, Sunset, Black, and High-finned forms. They will hybridise with other Platy species such as Xiphophorus maculatus.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )